Why donate 2.500 Euro for a FairWater BluePump?
Our sponsors value sustainable results and a clear no-nonsense approach. They have seen that most "standard" water projects are too much "charity" oriented and do not deliver sustainable results.
Our sponsors are aware of the fact that donations to "standard" water projects often dissapear in a deep black box of overheads and all kind of activities (travels, local offices, meetings, studies, conferences, etc. etc.) that they did not asked for.
To be more precise: our sponsors do not want their funding to be wasted again in donating non-sustainble VLOM waterpumps to the communities in Africa, who desperate need sustainable water points.
The FairWater Trust Fund
The FairWater Trust Fund is only used to install and rehabilitate broken down handpumps with a durable BluePumps in a community in Africa.
To be transparent and accountable, we developed the "Pay-Back" concept. With the money of the FairWater Trust Fund we do not just hand out new BluePumps or pre-finance BluePumps for NGOs and communities.
The FairWater approach is different and innovative; only after a community or NGO has first invested themelves in buying and installing a durable BluePump, we re-imburse the cost of the BluePump. For this we need clear pictures and GPS coordinates of the correct installed and operating new BluePump in the community.
Of course we assist NGOs and communities in this process and how to obtain and install the BluePump correctly.
The Pay-Back concept assures our sponsors that their funding is actually 100% used for a new BluePump in a community that has the commitment and capacity to maintain the BluePump in the future. The Pay-Back concept also stimulates communities and NGOs to contact local banks or Micro-Credit organizations to ask for a loan to buy BluePumps upfront. This stimulates the local economy and is therefore the best way of doing development projects that last.
How to apply for a "Pay-Back"?
NGOs as well as communities in Africa can request a Pay-Back by providing to FairWater the basic data of the water project. Normally, before the start of the project. To do so, they have to make a project page on our project website www.WatSan.org
The data that we need is:
- contact details (names, email address, phone nrs. etc.)
- location (Country, name community, GPS coordinates)
- number of families that will profit from the BluePump
- data of the well or borehole (depth, water level, diameter)
- expected installation depth of the pump
- foreseen way of maintaining the pump
When can you start with your project?
You can start with your project any time; you do not have to wait for the "go-ahead, the funding is secured" from FairWater. The most important criteria is that you apply beforehand and that your project has been accepted as a new project. Already installed BluePumps are normally not accepted for a refund!
How much is the refund?
The FairWater Trust Fund budget is 2.500 Euro for each new BluePump. A maximum of 80% of this budget (2.000 Euro) is available for the refund of the cost of the BluePump materials, so not for the cost of the installation. The remaining 20% of the budget is allocated to provide long term FairWater back-up support for this water point and cover the supervision and administration cost of the project. In case the cost of the BluePump is less than 2.000 Euro, the remaining budget remains in the TrustFund to be used for a BluePump Pay-Back in another location.
Apart from the "Pay-Back" water projects, FairWater has an on-going rehabilitation project activity which is shown on the home page under "Current Project". This is normally a broken down handpump in a community that has been selected by FairWater. It can also be one of the BluePumps on the "Pay-Back" waiting list.
People in the Netherlands can sponsor this rehab pump by sending a text sms with the text "fairwater" to 3010.